Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunday Stroll-December 28, 2008

This past month we've had just about every kind of winter weather it's possible to have. Today was the first pleasant day we've had in weeks ( 40F and sunny), and I had to get out and see what was going on in the yard.

Yesterday's all-day downpour caused the sump pump to run so much that it scoured away the earth and exposed tree roots, and the pale yellow sprout of a tulip, that should still be resting peacefully below the ground.


















In the back yard, I found the pile of limbs that Mike made when he cleared them from the front yard. We'll have to deal with them later. There are a lot of them. If only we had a fireplace!




















I went in search of anything green. There definitely isn't much, but I did find a few surprises. The lamium must have been pretty well insulated under all the snow and ice, because it will usually turn a deep purple when it's dormant.


















There were a few true geranium leaves still green beneath a mulch of leaves.


















The purple wintercreeper also has not turned color. Last week it was pretty well encased in ice, so I assume it also was insulated to some degree. The weight of the ice pulled it away from the tree trunk it is usually climbing.

That's all the greenery I saw today, and I expect that's all I will see for a couple of months.

If you'd like to see who else is strolling today, visit The Quiet Country House.


P.S.- Blogger and I can't seem to agree on spacing today. I bow to it's omnipotence.

4 comments:

Jena said...

Very pretty. I admire you for getting out and looking for the green things! I was in a grumpy mood today and decided to only see the gray and faded colors that abound this time of year. It was nice to get a peek at my mulched garden again, I was starting to wonder if it was still there under all the snow! :)

Marcie said...

Joyce, Ah! I just loved the green you found. A much needed sight at this point. :)

Blogger and I often wrestle with spacing. Usually, as you did, I just concede. *grin*

So glad you shared your stroll!

Rose said...

Joyce, It WAS so much nicer today; now I wish I had walked around the garden as you did. I'm amazed you found anything green, although I probably have some green lamium, too. That plant is so hardy! I can't believe you have a tulip trying to sprout already. The poor plants here probably can't figure out what to do in this weather either.

I've given up trying to figure out Blogger's spacing--it seems to have a mind of its own.

Cheryl said...

Dear Joyce....first thank you for your kind comment on my blog....

I have an open fire....the logs would be so useful here......

The lamium is one of my favourite little plants....the bees love it, yours indeed looks lush and green.....

We have frozen ponds and ditches today.......bbrrrrr it is so cold....

A happy peaceful New Year to you.....