Friday, December 19, 2008

I Guess You Could Call It Beautiful...

I woke up in the wee hours to the sound of limbs breaking and falling. It had begun to ice up mid evening last night, but we were hoping it wouldn't be thick enough to do any real damage. No such luck. We fortunately still have power, but there will definitely be some clean up to do this weekend.
After it got lighter, I went out to inspect. There's no question that an ice storm is beautiful.


But there's no question that we experienced some "natural" pruning as well. My night time prayers the the house and car would be spared were answered, though. Everything fell the other way.



School was canceled. I feel bad for all the children who were looking forward to their holiday parties. Some of the schools were going to have winter concerts today, as well. As a former elementary school music teacher, I was commiserating with them all.
It's starting to melt off now, so we won't really be housebound. That's good; I still have one more present to get!

7 comments:

Green Bean said...

Yeah, this is probably one of the few days where kids REALLY don't want school to be cancelled. From California, though, where its 40 or 50 degrees out, it is beautiful.

Donna said...

We woke up to more new snow this morning, and it is lovely except that my parents tried to drive up I-5 from CA yesterday to come for Christmas. They spent the night about 70 miles south of us and I'm not sure how they're going to get here this morning! At least, now they finally believe me when I say that snow does stick to the freeway.

Glad you avoided any serious damage. I wouldn't worry about the kids -- I'm sure they'll find something to do. :)

Joyce said...

I hear that the ice was a lot worse NW of us, and then northern IL was getting up to 18 inches of snow.

Yes, snow does stick to the highway! LOL! They were smart to stop for the night!

ruchi said...

That IS beautiful. But yeah, it does suck to miss the last day of school. That's always the most fun!!

Jena said...

Well, at least you can recognize the beauty in it. I'm relieved to hear that nothing fell on the house. That is one of my biggest fears when we have big snow or thunder storms. I tried to talk my hubby in to cutting down all the trees around the house but he didn't think that was a great idea, go figure! Anyway, don't work too hard at cleaning up. I know I'll be cozied up in the house this weekend since we got huge amounts of snow and may get more tomorrow. Sometimes it is nice to have an excuse to cuddle up. Enjoy!

Joyce said...

Ruchi, I know my kids would have been bummed about it back when they were little.

Jena, we have a tulip poplar that has a hollow spot. It really needs to come down, but somehow it's easy to postpone that $1,000 bill when the weather is fine. Last night I was really wishing we had taken care of that little job.

Rose said...

Beautiful photos, Joyce! You were very brave to get out in the cold. I stayed put in the house:) We have lots of pine limbs that broke off and will need cleaning up, but thankfully we did not lose power.