Monday, December 15, 2008

On Prideful Politicians and Their Downfall

Isaiah 32:6a:
"For the fool speaks folly,
his mind is busy with evil...:

Isaiah 32:7
"The scoundrel's methods are wicked,
he makes up evil schemes
to destroy the poor with lies,
even when the plea of the needy is just."


From Chuck Colson:

"If Blagojevich is guilty, the best thing that could happen to him is to be tried and convicted. He's going to have to reach rock bottom -- just as I did -- before he will be able to escape his own prison of pride, self-delusion and self-righteousness. But that's a transformation we can never accomplish on our own. I can vouch for the fact that human pride is simply too strong.

"Lewis was right: Pride is a spiritual cancer. And the only cure, for any of us, is to stop looking down and to look up. The cure can only be brought about in someone who has come to realize that the will and power to do good and not evil comes from God alone."

Colson's essay, written, of course, by a man who was sent to prison for his role in the Watergate scandal, is very worthwhile reading.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought I could properly pronounce Blagojevich's name. Now that I have heard it so many times, it rolls right off my tongue :) How did he get elected twice?

BTW, did you get to stroll this Sunday? :)

Joyce said...

Cindy, I don't know how he ever got elected to anything, except that he has a father-on-law who is a Chicago alderman with Teamster's Union ties, if that explains anything. Illinoisians are asleep at the wheel, unfortuately. I sure didn't vote for him.

I didn't get to stroll-very nasty weather kept me inside by the lighted tree, enjoying hot cocoa and a good book.

Rose said...

He is the perfect example of the line "Pride goeth before a fall..."

I am sad that Illinois is in the news as the epitome of crooked politics, but I am so glad that Blagojevich has finally been stopped. Maybe his fall will set an example for other politicians.

Joyce said...

Rose, let's hope it can be resolved quickly, before the state is completely ruined. Money for schools, Medicaid reimbursements, state parks, the poor U of I- I feel like we've been held hostage.