Monday, December 1, 2008

Road Work Ahead

One of my favorite Advent verses is Isaiah 40:3-5:

A voice of one calling:
"In the desert prepare
the way for the Lord;
make straight in the wilderness
a highway for our God.
Every valley shall be raised up,
every mountain and hill made low;
the rough ground shall become level,
the rugged places a plain."

It's a picture from real life, when every ancient Middle Eastern king would send his royal road crew ahead of him to fix a smooth road for his royal retinue in that rocky, hilly, rugged landscape. I think that's what this reading plan below will help me do with the rough spots in my spiritual landscape, as I prepare to celebrate the coming of the King of Kings.

"And the glory of the Lord will be revealed,
and all mankind together will see it.
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

I'm planning to start a year long reading plan on January 1 that will take me through the whole Bible, but I was looking for a "warm-up" plan for the Advent season, and I found the one below. I'm excited about it; Isaiah is my favorite Old Testament book, with some of the most uplifting and poetic literature found anywhere. The plan is only 22 days long (to suit the shortest possible Advent season), so it's good for the hectic holiday times, when you might have a couple of days where it's hard to squeeze it in. Although, as I always remind myself, if you have time to read the front page of a newspaper, you have time to do a daily Bible reading.

Anyway, if anyone would like to join me, here it is:

December 1- Isaiah 1-5
December 2- Isaiah 6-8
December 3- Isaiah 9-12
December 4- Isaiah 13-17
December 5- Isaiah 18-21
December 6- Isaiah 22-23
December 7- Isaiah 24-25
December 8- Isaiah 26-27
December 9- Isaiah 28-29
December 10- Isaiah 30-33
December 11- Isaiah 34-35
December 12- Isaiah 36-39
December 13- Isaiah 40-42
December 14- Isaiah 43-45
December 15- Isaiah 46-48
December 16- Isaiah 49-51
December 17- Isaiah 52-53
December 18- Isaiah 54-55
December 19- Isaiah 56-57
December 20- Isaiah 58-60
December 21- Isaiah 61-64
December 22- Isaiah 65-66

6 comments:

Donna said...

Perfect. I'm in!

I didn't know the history of the "road work" stuff - that's fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Joyce said...

Hey, Donna, I'm glad you're in! It will be nice to know someone else is "on the same page" :)

Green Bean said...

Joyce, call up the booth. You've been given an award here.

Joyce said...

Why, thank you, GB! Now I get to think about who to pass it on to!

Anonymous said...

We're in- I didn't get a chance to tell you that we're trying to read along. Tonight we caught up! Good stuff...

Joyce said...

That's exciting! That makes four of us!