Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thankful For A New Day

I was just counting up. I've voted in nine presidential elections. I voted for the loser five of those times, so I have a lot of experience being the loyal opposition.

With that in mind, I'd like to say that I'm thankful that this country has proved that a person of color can be elected to our highest office. It did bring tears to my eyes to think about that amazing achievement. I wish Martin Luther King could have seen this day!

1Peter 2:13, “For the Lord's sake, respect all human authority - whether the king as head of state, or the officials he has appointed."

I offer my respect to this president-elect, and I will pray for him to daily receive the wisdom and courage he will require to lead us for the next four years.

7 comments:

Green Bean said...

I'm thankful too, Joyce! ;-) Mighty thankful.

Unknown said...

I was just talking today to an african-american woman who is an aide at our school who said "I'm 76 years old and as I sat and watched the results, I was so glad to live to see Dr. King's dream come true!"

Joyce said...

Grant, I watched him give that speech live on TV. That's not something I will ever forget. I also remember, when I was little, seeing the pictures in Life Magazine of the march on Selma, people being firehosed, etc. We've come a long way, thank goodness.

Rose said...

Joyce, I was thinking about Dr. King, too, as I watched Sen. Obama's acceptance speech. I was so inspired by his speech as well as Sen. McCain's concession speech, especially the theme that we must all work together. Our new President is going to need all our prayers--he does not have an easy job ahead of him.

Joyce said...

I loved the speeches, including President Bush's.
Now let's hope we can get together and get some stuff straightened out.

Going Crunchy said...

I'm so glad that you can feel this way Joyce, even if your selection didn't make it. That shows true grace, and good character. Shan

Joyce said...

Shannon, there's no point in being a sore loser in a democracy, is there? Besides, it IS exciting to see women and minorities coming into their own.