Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thankful For The First Baptist Choir

Today, and every Sunday, I'm very thankful for the First Baptist choir. We have 32 choir members, ranging in age from 13 to 82, and, even though we take all comers, they are good! It's amazing that without auditions, without any real restrictions except that their voices be fully changed and that they have some rudimentary music reading skills, we are able to tackle just about any music I choose for them to do.

But there's more to be thankful for than that.

I tell people all the time that I get to work with the most wonderful group in the church!

These folks are unconditionally loving toward each other and toward me. They are faithful in their attendance and work hard in our rehearsals. They laugh together. They love to truly worship through music, as much at rehearsal as on Sundays. They see their musical gifts as an offering to the Lord and to the church, not a means of making much of themselves. They pray for each other. If someone misses rehearsal they call to see if that person is sick. They shepherd one another, and love one another. They welcome newcomers into the group with open arms. They pass their love of choral singing down through the generations of their families (we have several generations of three different families, and three married couples in the group). They cheerfully do whatever crazy thing I ask them to do. They laugh at their occasional mistakes and go on to try even harder. They laugh with those who laugh, and mourn with those who mourn. They are what I call "real church".

I could go on and on. I love all of them! It's an honor to know them and a privilege to lead them.

The November 30 Day Thanksgiving Challenge

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say that this past Sunday's music was just especially wonderful.

Joyce said...

Oh, thanks Robin! It's good to get the perspective of a listener. We all loved that song, and were amazed how well it went with the sermon.