Friday, June 6, 2008

Is Jesus Here?

From Ray Ortlund:

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, . . . ." Revelation 3:20

The church at Laodicea had to be told that Jesus was no longer inside. By now he was outside, standing at their door, knocking, asking to be welcomed back in.

I wonder when he left them. I wonder why they didn't notice. I wonder how they responded when they heard this knock on their door. I hope they ran to the door and threw it wide open.

It would not be a waste of time for every church board -- elders, deacons, whatever -- to take one hour out of all the many hours they spend together and devote just one hour to these questions:

What are the unmistakable signs of Jesus' presence in a church, according to Scripture?

What evidences do we see here among us of his wonderful presence?

Is his presence as powerfully real now as it has been in the past?

If not, how quickly, how practically and how radically can we run to the door and open it up again?

3 comments:

Rose said...

Hi, Joyce; thanks for visiting my blog. I do live close to you--about 10 miles east. My basement is slowly drying out, but I keep watching these storm clouds and the flash flood warnings with concern.

I read your post yesterday about the clothesline--good luck with your challenge. I actually enjoy hanging out clothes and try to do as much as possible in the summertime. You must not live in one of the new subdivisions where clotheslines are prohibited, though. I always thought that was ridiculous; wonder if it will change with the increased focus on going green.

Patty said...

really good post. I served as an elder in a big southern california chuch in the late 80's and it always shocked me how often Christ was never allowed into the church board meetings : (

Joyce said...

Rose, here it is pouring a deluge again! I hope you aren't getting more water in the house!
We live in a neighborhood that is about 45 years old, built when clothes lines were common, I guess. So no problem about the clothes line.

Patty, isn't surprising how often church meetings can begin to feel just like the PTA or Rotary, without stopping to pray through issues, but jumping right to human solutions? What makes us think we're smart enough to handle things without God's help?