Monday, September 22, 2008

C.S. Lewis On Evil

From Randy Gauger's Blog:

"I picked up my old copy of C. S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. I had read it nearly 20 years ago. I discovered that it grabbed my attention again. It reminded me once more how subtle evil can be.

Lewis suggests that evil is not done in concentration camps. Such atrocities are the results of evil (page x). After evil has become full grown, the horror of concentration camps emerge. But where does evil begin. Lewis writes: "We must picture Hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about their own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment" (page ix)."

3 comments:

Rose said...

Many, many years ago I read a quote that has stuck with me all these years. I don't remember who said it and I've forgotten the exact wording, but it goes something like this:
"The only way for evil to triumph in this world is for good people to do nothing."
That also reminds me of the quote from Martin Niemoller about the Holocaust, "First they came for the Jews, but I wasn't a Jew so I did nothing...." I won't quote it all here, because I'm sure you've heard it before.
All of these quotes remind us how important it is for each individual to stand up for what is good and what is right.

Super B's Mom said...

At the moment, I am reading that very book!! If you haven't read it, it's a must.

Yesterday during Sunday School - our topic was temptation. And we referenced that book in how Satan works with subtle methods. It's not the obvious we have to be concerned about.

Joyce said...

Rose- I remember that Niemoller quote; it's so true that we are uncomfortable engaging evil, and will do almost anything to remain on the sidelines. I guess we all have our point where we can no longer remain silent (or at least, we should have that point!).

SuperB's Mom-Isn't "The Screwtape Letters" an incredible little book?! It never grows old to me. It's amazing that Lewis could write about such a chilling topic, and yet there is a strange humor to it as well. It was eye-opening to me when I read it the first time, to see the subtlety of the Enemy's attacks on us. I think it should be required reading for everyone.