Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday Stroll-April 10, 2009

Despite a steady drizzle, everything outside looked so fresh and green, and I had to go out for a damp stroll around my yard, and record what spring was offering us today. Above are the lily-of-the-valley that have sprung up in only the last four or five days, and are already developing flower buds. These were originally transplants from my grandmother's place. She gave me strict planting instructions: put them in the bed that is surrounded by concrete sidewalks and the house; if they escape, you will never see the end of them in the lawn! I took her at her word, and have been able to confine them and enjoy them for years, though, if I'm not vigilant, they will actually try to advance toward the lawn by way of the sidewalk cracks!

We had a remarkably long, cold winter, with some long spells of single-digit temperatures, and unfortunately that means that there were no forsythia blooms this year, and possibly we won't get our pink cloud of crab apple blossoms, either. I also noticed as I worked yesterday that we've lost two rose bushes.

That means we'll just have to enjoy the other, more subtle blooms and foliage that go with April, such as the soft, pale green of the oak leaf hydrangeas.

The Japanese spurge is blooming, and smells heavenly

Wrapped around the foot of the crab apple is a skirt of violets.

The peonies are not only robust, but have far and away outgrown the cages I use for them.

This is a clump of Moonbeam coreopsis, something that also seems to have sprung up over night. I love that soft, feathery foliage.
In the shade garden, chartreuse hostas are proliferating. These were also pass-along plants from a friend, so I can't tell you their name, despite scouring hosta sites to try to identify them.

It would hardly be April without daffodils. I need to remember to divide these poor things next fall; they're looking pretty crowded!

I have a favorite green glade, where the maple and Ye Olde Yew compete for space, and purple wintercreeper is sending out it's new bright leaves. I keep this groundcover trimmed at about four feet up the tree or it would climb to the top, I think! I saw that way of pruning it in a couple of English gardening books, and liked the effect. I think English gardeners value mature plantings and contrasting greens perhaps a bit more than most American gardeners, while we tend to go for color more. I'm glad I have this little spot near the patio.
There is also a "view" that appeals to me through an opening in this area. It would be even more striking on a sunny day. I'll try to remember to capture that on film sometime soon.
That's the end of my stroll; I needed to get back in out of the rain.
To see who else is strolling, visit Aisling at The Quiet Country House.

3 comments:

Marcie said...

Looks like things are moving right along! I love the silvery green of the oak leaf hydrangea leaves!

I'm still curious as to whether our hard, cold winter took out any of my plants. So far, so good, I think!

I'm so glad you joined us for a stroll!

Everydaywoman said...

So nice to see everything blooming in your yard, especially after the bitter winter! Spring is such a welcome sight, isn't it? Nice that you took the time to stroll despite the raindrops today.

Rose said...

Even on a rainy day, it's hard not to take the time to look around and see what's coming up in the garden, isn't it? Your Moonbeam coreopsis is really coming along! Mine is just beginning to emerge. I'm sorry to hear about your rose bushes; so far I haven't noticed anything lost over the winter, but then not everything has popped through the ground either. I've noticed lots of magnolia trees blooming around town in spite of the cold; I do hope that means my flowering crabs will still bloom.