Friday, August 15, 2008

Vacation


We "vacated" this week. To me, that means going someplace different and doing things you don't do at home. Here are twenty things we did that we don't usually do:


1.Lived in a rustic cabin in the woods.

2.No electricity.

3.Read in Adirondack chairs.

4.Got poison ivy.

5.Made s'mores over a campfire.

6.Went mountain biking-some of us, any way.

7.Chased a very persistent half-grown raccoon out of our campsite, repeatedly.

8.Used pit toilets.

9.Wore sweatshirts, morning and evening.

10.Saw birches, pines, and aspens.

11.Went swimming in a lake.

12.Pumped well water by hand.

13.Hiked.

14.Hung out with Matt.

15.Enjoyed dragonflies sunning themselves on my shoulders.

16.Provided a steady diet for mosquitoes.

17.Visited the University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor.

18.Watched swallowtails on Queen Anne's lace.

19.Visited sister-in-law and nieces in Saginaw.

20.Spent 31st anniversary sleeping in bunk beds in a one room cabin with our son.


It was fun! But I'm always glad to get back to where there are no silly trees and hills blocking my view of the sky.

7 comments:

ruchi said...

Sounds like a great time. And isn't the U Mich campus just gorgeous?

Not as gorgeous as the campus of my alma mater, but I guess I'm biased ... ;)

Joyce said...

Oh, the Law Quad! It made want to go to law school! I think your alma mater is prettier, though, and mine is prettiest of all:)

Rose said...

Happy Anniversary! I would have loved to see the dragonflies sunning on your shoulders! Sounds like a wonderful time, except for the mosquitos and the raccoon:) I'm sure you'll appreciate electricity and indoor plumbing even more now that you're home, LOL.

Joyce said...

Rose, I don't mind the absence of electricity and running water, but I could really do without the poison ivy. I've never reacted to it before, but now, apparently I've developed an allergy to it:(

Green Bean said...

Sounds like heaven. Thanks for taking us along vicarously.

Joyce said...

GB- It was fun, and made a really nice change.

Going Crunchy said...

Ooh, sounds like fun stuff to me! Shan