Monday, August 25, 2008

He Never Has A Trivial Thought

I've been thinking a lot the past couple of weeks about the difference between a "call" to do something, and just doing a job that you might like or have a certain talent for. You might get a post about that, from time to time in the next little while. It's an important thing for everyone to think about; in fact, I think it is one of the main things we wrestle with in our human existence.

Once again, a wonderful post from Ray Ortlund offers help in understanding the concept of "call":

"Every one of us has some brilliant counter-argument to the call of God. “Lord, I am only a _________.” But what God said to Jeremiah he says to every one of us: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you” (Jeremiah 1:5). You don’t define yourself. God does. And he never has a trivial thought. He's not even capable of it.God also said, “To all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the Lord” (Jeremiah 1:7-8). You have been sent by God on a unique mission in life, he handmade you for it, and he is with you every day to deliver you."

No comments: