Monday, September 3, 2007

Control Issues

It's just been one of those weeks.

I was feeling very good about the start to the choir season, and felt like our new worship pianist was settling in well and starting to get us figured out. Then bam, life began to intervene!
My father had a stress test on Tuesday, which led to a heart catheterization on Thursday, which led to a quadruple bypass on Friday. Mom doesn't drive, and needs some other help, too, so of course I needed to help, and wanted to anyway. But as anyone who has been through this kind of family event knows, you can sometimes feel like a week just vanished from your life. That's how I'm feeling today.

Why are am I always so surprised by this? I had the same feeling last fall when a very confused six-point buck decided to charge through our front picture window, wreck our main floor, and then leave by another window. That was followed by a head-spinning few weeks of dealing with insurance claims, window companies, choosing new carpet and waiting for it to be installed (three days before Christmas was happening at my house!), all while trying to get the seasonal tasks done at the church. I thought I would lose my mind!

This morning, as I began to have a freakout about helping my parents, managing my job, and remaining available to my husband and children, I opened up my e-mail to find a beautiful devotional message from Nancy DeMoss about God as manager of the universe. I read the suggested passage, Psalm 104. And took a deep breath. I didn't have to know how to "do it all". God knows how. He runs the whole universe, without freakouts! I can lean on his everlasting arms and just move forward day by day in his strength.

No comments: