Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Stroll- May 31, 2009


I didn't post a Sunday Stroll last week, but that doesn't mean I wasn't running- er, strolling! It's important to take time to stroll with a 22-month-old, so that you can be reminded of how thrilling it is to stand on the water-main cover, or drop gravel down the storm sewer grate, or giggle at each bit of cottonwood "fluff" that floats past on the the breeze. Every so often she would stop in her tracks and lift her face to the sky and say, "feelthewind?" or "hearthebird?". And, suddenly, I did feel the wind, or hear the bird. Miraculous!


But this weekend I was on my own to notice things. We have a woodpecker living on our block, now. I can hear it, but haven't yet seen it. I couldn't help thinking about how fast it hammers on the tree trunks, or how strong it's beak and skull must be to take that pounding. It's really one of the wonders of the universe, don't you think?

And, while we were gone, everything decided to burst into bloom. It was all out there for our enjoyment today.

If you go for a stroll, be sure to stop and feelthewind, and hearthebird. Oh, and throw some more gravel in the sewer grate for me will you?

To see what other strollers are noticing, visit The Quiet Country House.

4 comments:

Jena said...

Oh, what a sweet post. I love that innocence about children that makes you see things in a new light. Those pink flowers are stunning, BTW!

Green Bean said...

Kids are put here to help us appreciate the beauty all around us.

Donna said...

Awwww! Too cute!

Rose said...

There's nothing quite as special as seeing the world through the eyes of a child--what a cutie! I got back from Chicago yesterday afternoon, and two of my grandchildren stopped in for a little while: we did "hearthebird" and spend some time looking for "Toad Hall." It was every bit as precious as looking at the Botanic Garden:)

Your roses and peonies are beautiful!